Friday, January 27, 2012

Living into the Fullness of Life


I was talking with a good friend of mine the other day about present day technology and how, in the Western world, we are often living life in an artificial reality. We use social networking tools like Facebook, emails, texting, etc. almost obsessively and life is often put through these filters before reaching us. Likewise, we live outwardly with these filters, as well. She admitted to me that the other day, she was on Facebook on her computer and got out her smart phone and logged into Facebook on there at the same time. And I don’t think that is uncommon for a lot of people. We have unlimited access to information via the internet and tend to live vicariously through that instead of living our own lives in the moment. The longer I am here, the more I am aware of this change in how I live. Here, where few people have computers and cell phones are used as a means to contact rather than communicate, I feel less bound by technology. Subsequently, I feel more connected with my life, with this place, and with the people around me. I feel more whole. I have the time and the space to feel and experience life in all of its complexities and live into that mystery.  I feel less rushed, less pressured. Even if my days are filled with work and are no less hectic than they were in the States (it’s possible they are more hectic), I find that it feels less like work. It feels less strenuous. I don’t dread waking up in the mornings or constantly look forward to the weekend; I just live each day as it comes and revel in all of the small joys that are scattered throughout the day.  Maybe it is because society here is more relaxed. It’s not that I do less work in a day, but that it comes as it comes instead of having constant deadlines and a pressure to do things diligently. That’s not to say that I don’t do things diligently and efficiently (I do), but just having that absence of constant pressure makes everything much more enjoyable because I’m living into my work instead of being burdened by it. On top of that, my life here is much more dependent upon nature. I only eat fruits and vegetables that are in season, plans and chores are often dictated by the weather, and my power and water supply are often dependent upon the weather as well. Because of that, I feel infinitely more connected to the earth as well as with society. This lifestyle suits me. It fills up all of those pieces that I often felt were missing in the States.

I think this will be one of my major hurtles in moving back to the States. It is going to be very hard to readjust to a life that, from my point-of-view here, seems more sterile and more controlled. Things in the States are often so rigid and unwavering. Things have to be done NOW. If it’s storming outside, you strap on a pair of rain boots and grab and umbrella and go to the store anyway. Here, you just make do with what you have for the night and go to the store tomorrow, taking advantage of a free evening. Why has this constant pressure to preform overtaken our lives in the States? Why are we always on edge with these menial tasks that just have to be done for no other reason than getting them done? Why does that constant pressure have to exist when people will do work of their own accord for the simple fact that we, as humans, are inclined to make use of ourselves and those things around us? We find joy in accomplishment and good work naturally. So why is it that we so often corrupt that joy by making our work something that is no longer enjoyable?

Uxolo,
Karen

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes. This is the reason why I'm leaving to Valparaiso Chile in 3 weeks. I really think constant stress and pressure is a cultural trait of highly developed countries. It's that way in Japan, England, and the United States for sure. There's always a time crunch for something and then we beat ourselves over the head (or get beaten over the head by others) for stopping to smell the roses when we should be working ourselves into the grave. A much better endevor. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange how that works, isn't it? Everyone wants to be a part of said developed countries because they're supposedly "better," but there are problems there, too. They're just different from those of developing coutries. And yet, people still buy into the ideal of places like the US being "perfect" and desireable above all others. I hope you have fun in Chile and find some time to unwind and relax and live a little. Be safe!

      Delete
  2. I feel like this story is about me. About being on facebook on the computer and on my phone. If it is, I'm honored that you used me as an example, if it isn't, oh well...

    On a side note. You are very right in what you have said. We do tend to rush around and do things. Something that I adopted this last fall after attending Happening last summer and realizing that it is nice to not have a watch on, a cell phone in your pocket, and an iPad in your hand, is that I take one morning or afternoon a week, take off my watch, put away my iPad and cell phone, turn off the tv, and just have a few hours of time to relax, take in the beauty of the world, and not worry about rushing around and getting things done. It has been nice to be able to do that. I'm hoping to make it an even more important part of my life during lent this year, because really that is what the season of Lent is all about. Setting aside time in your life to relax and listen to what God is saying to you.

    JITS Karen

    ReplyDelete