Friday, October 14, 2011

INGENUITY

I have to say that I am perpetually amazed by people’s ability to make something out of nothing here. My own Mayguver skills are put to shame!  When something is broken, there’s a way to fix it. When it seems like the space is too small, there’s a way to make things fit. And when you’re a kid who grows up with few (if any) toys, you make up your own. My favorite are the cars made out of pop cans, plastic bottle caps, and old wire hangers. They are crazy cool! The kids at Itipini are constantly teaching me new games that they’ve made up using rocks, tin cans, cardboard scraps, or whatever else they find lying around. Today, I played something like jacks, but with a pile of pebbles. You throw one rock in the air and catch it three times. In between throwing it and catching it the first time, you pull rocks out of the circle. Then, in the next two throws, you have to put all but two rocks back in the circle. If you can do that, you get to keep the two rocks and go again. If you don’t do it, you get nothing and your turn is over. The goal is to see who can get the most rocks! It was actually very entertaining and challenging. I feel like sometimes kids’ creativity gets stifled by all of the made toys, video games, and television in the Western world. It’s all done for them and they play how the toys are designed to play (for the most part). On the other side of that, I suppose not having trash and rubble as your only toys would be nice, too. The important thing is this: Creativity is priceless. Have you created something today?  


1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel, you and I have an advantage growing up before all of the technological boom--though we have always been more well off than those we were sent to serve. Slowly we are getting lost in this world and we depend too much on artificial entertainment and conveniences. Though the western hand is slowly gripping Mexico City and more kids are trying to get themselves an Xbox or playstation I've seen some of the same ingenuity.

    ReplyDelete