Friday, September 2, 2011

"Slow Clutch"


After two weeks of learning to drive stick and still feeling very amateur, these two words taught me the entire concept of how to drive a manual car. Two days ago, when I was set with the task of driving in town by myself for the first time to take some patients to other hospitals, I squealed the tires more times than I could count and stalled out twice in the stop and go traffic. After our stop at Mthatha General Hospital, a man named Mthetheleli Mbeseli, who was riding in the back, got into the front seat and began guiding my driving. He spoke very little English and just said the words “slow clutch,” the next time I had to start moving again. He repeated it again anytime I shifted. And with the simplicity of that statement, the entire concept came clear to me. Voila! Now I feel very confident in my ability to drive a stick. I even kept myself in place on a hill today only using the clutch and gas – no break! Who knew that someone who has probably never owned a car and speaks a language that I am struggling to learn could teach me, in two words, how to drive. After he said that to me and we were all cruising right along, we even simultaneously pleaded with a stoplight to turn green, he in Xhosa and me in English, and the whole car cheered together when it did. 

That trek began as terrifying one but ended joyously because of two words, a helping hand, and a spirit of camaraderie. More than anything, though, it has made me think about the power of simplicity and how so much can often be revealed in so few words. When something is said simply and clearly, there isn’t any room left for confusion. “Ndifuna isonka” means “I want bread” in Xhosa and there’s no mistaking what it means when a child says it. Furthermore, we use the simplest phrases for the things with the most meaning in our lives. “Be safe,” “I love you,” and “I miss you,” are a few that come to mind presently. It makes me wonder if it is because of the depth of these statements that we keep them short and have faith that the rest is inherently implied. We say very little because the meaning is not in our words, but in our relationships with each other. The same is true in this story. The words “slow clutch” revealed not only the concept of driving standard to me, but also revealed an acceptance and an understanding from the Itipini people that were in my truck. That acceptance and understanding is worth more than I have words for. It has made me feel like I will be able to find a place for myself within this community and has affirmed to me that the people at Itipini have more to teach me than I know.  

Thanks for tuning in!
Peace,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment